Thursday, December 09, 2004

Cookie Cutters, Anyone?

So started my car and drove. I often hate these trips and I dread them, yet i agrue with the saying, "sometimes you just have to give in." Cheap prices, always low and everything at your fingertips. Maybe part of my frustration with this mega shopping center (coughwalmart) on this particular day, was the fact that i forgot my list and had to go back to my car, them possibly the fact that after entering again i had to turn around (after halfway in the store) and go get a cart, then maybe the truth that i couldn't FIND anything within the store, hence my final frustration after tired feet and heavy hands (from basket i got) i forgot my wallet (another trip to the car). Now i can blame my experience an all of this and yet there is something about this place that wards me away time and time again.

I can easily say the mega structure has depleted all the mom and pop stores. I can complain about the massive parking lot and the huge plastic structure and hurl (to put it lightly). Yet i believe there is much more to it than this. Let me talk atmosphere. Walking through it seemed stale, massive advertisement ploys, and people in blue with "May I help you" jackets. Upon asking numerous employees about where i can find cookie cutters--i got tossed left and right and believe i managed a good five miles today. Lastly i got told by a lady in the craft department that they were three rows down on the left and (almost rudely) "they are for all season, that's all we got." For which she returned to talking to her co-workers. Frustrated at this point I grabed some stupid train and stars (so long for christmas cheer). Upon leaving the store, my point was proven distinctly. When i left i gave my best effort to smile and make eye contact to the lady who greets upon entering and leaving. She steadly remained "busy"...when i reached a point of passing beyond that zone of contact she was able to push out a simple "have a goodnight." Not only was it impersonal, but i would rather have nothing at all i believe.

After this disturbing stop, i went into downtown Beaver Falls to pick up some De'Angile's donuts for a friend of mine. Not only upon entering did i get a hello from the small shop but i was able to hold a steady conversation and laugh a little with the employees. What makes these two store's demeanors so different?

So, where do we buy groceries, where do we buy those simple necessities? When i was in Europe it was easy to walk down the street and go to the open air markets, at a fairly reasonable price. They had small grocery stores, yet nothing so elaborate and plastic looking. Walking through Italy the store were as small as a simple bathroom. They were not over stuffed with merchandise. I saw one store where probably only three people could fit inside, guess that doesn't leave room for unavoidable eye contact! The structure was beautiful, simple and yet so genuine. There is something to size, something to window shopping, and something to interaction.

and i still need cookie cutters...


1 comment:

RVWarren said...

We have plenty at our house. You are more than welcome to borrow them.

Russ