Monday, November 06, 2006

Dreaming Dreams

We spoke about the gifts tonight...spiritual gifts that is. The question was posed: are the gifts used in the same capacity that they were in the early church.

Paul talks about them in Corinthians, as we know, and John in Revelation talks about the two prophets who will go prophesize and then be destroyed...and after three days have air breathed back into them by God and ascend to heaven.

Can tongues still exist in full? Does speaking in tongues mean a different language, one language where all understand, or is it a prayer language? Maybe those are all different and very real.

I wonder most about dreams. About what Joel the Old Testament prophet states, and Peter restates in Acts 2 to the people that men will dream dreams and see vision. I dream...lots of dreams and I love them. They are beautiful as much as they are significant. Colors that have never existed before and parallels that are obviously more than my midnight pizza talking. Do I snub this off as my vivid imagination or do I recognize and discern what God is and has done?

There is much more to be stated here about cultural barriers to these truths and the actual "evil" power at work. Often times I believe that our nation (America) is sitting in front of a big TV and slowly forgetting what else is happening around us. Why would the enemy tear the army from the TV ceasing any action? Sounds like a good plan.

Anyway, these are undigested and un-thorough thoughts at this moment.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I have thoughts on this, but they're not exactly fully-formed (so, keeping my shut to avoid making a fool of myself). But in regards to dreams, can't they be significant without being full-fledged Spiritual Gifts (with capital s and g)?