Saturday, February 24, 2007

Mittens

A lady came into the shop the other week. I complimented her mittens as I made her a nice warm hot chocolate with whipped cream on top. She was a small lady with short hair and a warm smile. She told me that she made these mittens. After she paid and she took them and had me feel how soft they were. They were soft.

I looked at her in shock....in shock that a human can actually make such beautiful mittens. She asked me what color I liked? I told her that I am a brown person (whatever that means?). She said she would make me a pair. I asked how much a pair would cost. She said that she just likes making mittens. As she walked down the hall I shouted that I would buy her a cup of coffee for such a lovely pair of mittens...I felt that this was all I could do, because she said she was going to make me mittens and charge me nothing.

Last weekend I found a box on the counter with my name inscribed on a yellow piece of paper. Inside were soft, nice, beautiful brown mittens. On the left mitten is a small threaded heart. I was told by another barista that this heart signifies the "left" hand because it is closest to your heart. What an amazing gift, all deriving from conversation and nothing that I deserved.


I love my mittens.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Thank you for this story!