Sunday, January 28, 2007

This and That in the News

A South American footballer playing in the English Premiership is spending his high salary not on fast cars and big houses, but on rebuilding an entire community where he grew up.

This is the subtitle to an article I read on BBC News' website. What an amazing example of someone 'well-known' doing something with his talents and abilities, rebuilding the city that he grew up in. Take a read.

_________________________________________________________

So we want gambling in Pittsburgh? There are problems elsewhere...that would be Russia, and their issues seem like a pretty good warning and example of what could become. I know it is not all these issues are not because of gambling, but the fact that gambling is one of the very main sources they are limiting and separating from the people at large, there must be some significance to this addiction.

__________________________________________________________

And this...this just makes me super angry. I would not want to work at a coffee shop that required me to be "beautiful" whatever that means. Obviously beauty in this world is defined by the amount of money you can provoke a customer to give you and lots of makeup, because a human being without the fake face is not worth anyone's time, or anyone's vanilla latte! Give me a break...

__________________________________________________________


I should read the news a lot more often, I get ecstatic about the rebuilding of community, scared at what the future holds for us, and absolutely ticked off at what we are living in.... It's a great time (yes, I'm being slightly sarcastic) !

6 comments:

Jason said...

I like how you have your comments pluralized as "commenti." I LOVE it.

One guy is quoted in the sleazy coffee article saying something like, "If I'm going to pay 4 dollars for a cup of coffee..."

Why is he paying four dollars for a cup of coffee to begin with?

Al said...

Maybe its a fancy smanzy cup of of coffee...I won't go there.

Anonymous said...

"The 2006 World Cup in Germany, when we reached the second round, was important because the success means I can finance a new sports and community centre, now under construction."

i love this reasoning. when you ask most athletes what it means to make it to the next round, think of what they would say.

and, regarding the coffee article, i couldn't even finish reading it. i hate what we do to people...how we dehumanize them and subject them to becoming objects to bring us supposed happiness. lust is so deceitful...and disgusting once you recognize it.

Anonymous said...

"lust is so deceitful."

...and I always thought it had something to do with propagating the species.

Of course, pretty much every consumer item has become sexualized, from shoes to beer to music players to operating systems to coffee to [etc, etc]

Brandon Zangus said...

great article..thanks for posting.

Brett said...

Due to the negative feedback as to coffee and scantily clad servers, I will cease waxing my bikini area in anticipation of BFCAT following a similar business model.