Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Bomb Diggity

I was at the shop today when a regular came in. He is an international student that comes quite frequently to the shop. Today he happened to be all dressed up for one of his classes. I commented on his attire saying, "You look nice today, all dressed up..." Linda, the lady that I was working with, also commented on his attire. I went to wash dishes as they continued to have this conversation about how nice he looked. I heard her then say "The word that I would use would be 'spiffy', but that is an old person word." I retorted saying "I still use that word!" ...

Than bantering of word usage went back and forth. All for the purpose of giving this young gentleman an appropriate English word for his vocabulary.

I said he should use the English word "nice"
Linda asked what was hip for a younger generation to say. Then she proceeded to use the phrase "he's the bomb"
I said "bomb-diggity"
Then Nancy,another worker who was sitting down, chimed in saying other various words.
I said "phat, like p-h-a-t", Nancy laughed really loud and copied my "west-side" hand movements and Linda just repeated "phat"

At one point I finished the dishes and joined in the conversation at the counter. In the corner of my eye I saw other patrons laughing and glancing up at us. One, who was in the other corner of the room chimed in and added a few words that his friends use in Philly, such as "pimped" and "jazzed".

We settled on "jazzed" cause Linda liked it a lot.


There is something about this scene that caused me to truly laugh out loud and love what and why I am doing what I am doing. A place that causes people to join in and be a part of the conversation.

2 comments:

lifegrdsten said...

Hey Al! it's entries like this that make me miss the coffeehouse even more. how are things there?...i'm lame and opt for xanga, but you can still check it out. miss ya! - kristen

www.xanga.com/lifegrdsten

Unknown said...

I believe the proper term is "Natty".
-- Aphobos