Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Ramblings about Mindless Labor and the Sorts

It has been an extremely busy past couple of days. The weather is throwing me for a loop and I agree with my friend Jason; my place is cold and I am excited for spring (even though we did not really have a winter).

I will be gone for the next week or so. Going to Mississippi because the damage is still deep and families are still struggling. I'm looking forward to roofing and construction. I love doing these activities and oddly it is extremely rejuvenating for me. I think many of us have forgotten what hard labor is or how our bodies are meant to be physically fit. I'm not talking about going to the gym but more so about a way of life. It's funny how we have to schedule in exercise, schedule in breaks, schedule in downtime. I think these things happened naturally back in the day, or even now in other places across the world. Some of us have lost a piece of what labor is/was.

When I worked, doing physical labor, I tended to think more. I did that often when I shoveled tons of mulch or spreading gravel. It's a mindless job but my brain was sharp and active because of the mindlessness of the labor...and in the end it was refreshing. Same with walking everywhere, it allows one time to think and relax. Driving makes us angry at the car in front of us and causes us to scream profanities (no experience here, no no, not any...)

So off to Mississippi I go. Hopefully the warm weather will follow me back when I return. It will be my gift to all of you.


Sorry for the rambling post. But sometimes these are just as necessary as talking about art, literature, and the other. Enjoy.


EDIT: take a listen and a read. Arcade Fire came out with a new album and I think they may be on to something. It seems very dark and the lyrics seem very deep. I only heard one song though and looked on their site, so my thoughts are very elementary.

7 comments:

Jason said...

Neon Bible is a great album. The band is really maturing as songwriters and mu--people that play instruments (they haven't spent their entire lives studying music, I guess). I think they're on to something too.

joeldaniel said...

i thoroughly agree that there's something beautiful about physical labor. i'll always remember splitting wood for the fireplace when i was younger or winter camping or service projects when i was camp director. i think the long hiking every day was a good piece of what made Maine so enjoyable last summer, even. and i do often worry that the next generation, growing up on video games and the internet and cell phones, is missing out on all this.

Anonymous said...

Should I make such cutting remarks regarding whatever it is that your profession and/or education is? I am a musician, you are whatever you are; I don't make such remarks regardign your vocation, I would appreciate adult behavior regarding mine.

I have put the time and effort, blood, sweat and tears into what I do...you may not agree with my opinions regarding a field in which I am educated and trained, but at least have the common courtesy to respect what I do.

Very "christian" of you, I might add.

theBildungsroman said...

Hey Al, I do agree with your assessment of "mindless labor", to some extent. But I would have to change the words around. I work as a tradesman, a painter most of the time, but sometimes minor carpentry etc. There is something very honorable in my line of work, as I can take pride in the fruit of my labor, since it is immediately apparent that the work is well done or not. However, there are elements of working a trade that are terrible. One can make positive comments regarding it as long as one does not have to perform those tasks as a full-time job.

Chris said...

i second both jason and dave.

Anonymous said...

Have fun in Mississipi. Don't get malaria.

Twixmixy said...

...i miss you.

i'm not so angry anymore. my spring break really filled me with a lot of awe in God and so much joy that i hope to share. i still may be a sarcastic asshole though. just a warning.