Monday, May 07, 2007

Diving in Dumpsters

Did a little dumpster diving tonight. It is amazing to see what students throw away. Lamps, fans, nice material, rugs, shelving units...etc. One of my students said that she got a desk, and another switched his own desk for the one that was outside the dumpster because it was nicer than his own. One year they got a laptop and brand new Timberland shoes!

Anyways, I was a bit disappointed tonight with the selection. We did not get that much, and yet maybe that is a relief that there was not too much good stuff tossed as garbage. It is sad to see that we just throw these things away. And then again I sat for four hours on Sunday, at home, going through all the 'junk' that I have saved since I was practically born. Sometimes you have to part with the marbles you've kept since second grade...you just have to close your eyes and tell your mother "do it, just throw them away, I can't look."

How do we conserve things and yet at the same time live the simple life? How do we distribute these good and not just thrown them away?







ps. dumpster diving is to be done at your own risk,, I am not encouraging or discouraging it...just looking at how we waste and hoard "stuff". Around college dormitories you honestly never know what you can dig up, or even if it is worth it. We didn't go to far in, but I could only imagine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt many college kids are being philosophical about throwing things out. I mean, rather than trying to "throw off spiritual shackles" they are probably just trying to avoid multiple automobile trips. But I'd say some of the best decisions I've made have been those where I _got rid_ of unnecessary things--how much junk does a person really need anyway?

Plus, if you throw something out, and somebody grabs it up, there's a good change he needs it more than you do.

joeldaniel said...

once you have already accumulated a lot of stuff, it's thoroughly difficult to figure out what to do with it. what i've been thinking about a lot recently is how to keep from accumulating so much to begin with. what stuff do i justify buying now that i don't honestly need?

Al said...

Josh, I concur that they do not want the multiple automobile trips, some of them are probably going back overseas...etc. etc. I also agree that the best decisions is getting rid of stuff. What I am probing at is HOW we get rid of these 'unnecessary things'?

I do not think that having another person going through a dumpster is quite dignifying, and then to say they probably need it more than you is more dignifying.

just some thoughts.


Joel, I think it does start from square one....that is so hard too. I often buy things that I need at the moment....then i don't.

Anonymous said...

Separation from possessions can be propationary, of course: Simply put all of your dubiously-necessary items in storage (or in your parents' house) and see if you can live without them. If so, then throw them away.