Monday, July 09, 2007

Off I Go

Items still need homes, boxes need to be emptied, clothes need to be put into the goodwill: all the reactions to moving from one place to another. I think there is more mental upheaval than anything else.




I made a list of items today that I am going to put in my red duffel bag and shove in my black day pack. These clothes, shoes, books, etc will be in tight living spaces as I travel to Seattle in a day or two. I'm finally going to the west coast to a city that is one of many that I hope to visit one day! I believe I'm more excited though to spend the time with my brother and take walks around the city. Some of the few plans we have thus far is : 1. Going to the wharf and watching them toss fish 2. Seeing Patty Griffin play in concert at the zoo 3. Going to Mount Rainier or Olympic National Park 4. Driving to Portland to see the coast 5. Eating cheap food 6. Maybe seeing Damien Jurado play at a local bar 6. the rest is up to chance!

I'm nervous to fly on my own, to get a bus, get on a Greyhound, be an adult. But I'm excited to be in a new place and experience the city that I hear over and over again "Al you will love Seattle!"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a tip:

Some airlines let people find their own seats (like southwest) rather than assign them. Counter-intuitively, it is better to let everyone else board first, and then board towards the end. That way you can choose the person who sits next to you. Believe me, if you have to spend 5 hours next to a 400 pounder, you'll understand.

If your airline assigns you a seat, then best of luck.

Al said...

no it does not assign seats. So I'm all set

Anonymous said...

So, are you going away for all eternity or what?

Al said...

no no i'm going to visit my brother for a week and a half. It's a vacation! :)

I feel rude here, but what Josh is this? I know a few and have always wondered...could you help me out here.

Thanks!

Adam A said...

Al -

I updated, but you're on vacation, so I'll add some more for you (hopefully).

Seattle is on the top of my "places to go" list.

And hey. Make me a deal. Some point this year we'll have a real, face-to-face conversation about stuff. The blog this is fine for people who never see each other. We, on the other hand, see each other roughly 5-6 times a year.

a.

Kimberly said...

Al! Your tea you left was totally amazing...and your note was so delightful that it made my fridge :)

I drank your tea with this chocolate from Europe and fresh raspberries. I even took out my fine china! My only regret was that you were not there to share. Sooo...when are you coming back? :) I miss you.

Hope you are doing well and adjusting to your new space. I just added a bouquet of peacock feathers in my living room that I think you would have enjoyed :)

joeldaniel said...

so you're way overdue on an update up here...

and i wrote a post on bejustice.blogspot.com that i think you would appreciate.