Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Playfulness

I took my work to the park yesterday. It was the perfect temperature to sit outside and get work done without being distracted by my computer, my music, or my phone. I sat next to the lake where it was almost empty because everyone else was at their appropriate place of work; except some high school students who where cussing fish left and right as they carried their fishing poles all around the lake.

After work, I moseyed down the road. I passed a picnic that was mainly made up of Elderly people, I desperately wanted them to offer me some of their hot dogs and burgers. I wanted to talk with them and join in the conversation, or make conversation for that matter. I daydreamed about that scenario for a bit of my walk. Then I reach my goal....

I put my bag down and sat in the swing. Looking slightly to my right I saw the sun hitting off the lake and the hillside....I swung as high as I could go before I got slightly dizzy (that happens to me a lot). It was great fun and I felt like I was four years old again.

I believe this needs to happen more often. We need to play more. I swung and pondered this concept of play and how it restores us. There is something really important to swinging on swings and daydreaming of scenarios. Of chuckling at yourself and having fun in the process.

3 comments:

Ashley M said...

I love to swing at parks. I should make more of a habit of finding parks and swinging.

SO glad that you were able to play and enjoy and chuckle and daydream. Sounds like a great day!

j u s t i n said...

now it just might be because i've been out of western pa for too long but i have to ask...what is 'cussing fish'? Were they using choice explatives to describe the fish? b___in trout...wuckin' walleye...flippin' fish? You can mean that...i'm just wondering...

Al said...

yeah I worded that weird... but they were saying look at the wuckin' bass...or whoa! I almost caught that wucker, flippin' fish. ahhh the ell' with it" you know stuff like that. Or they would just yell "F" really really loudly. It was a bit too much.